Moisture is an important concern to building designers since it is the single most important agent of building deterioration. Moisture control is fundamental to the proper functioning of any building and hence it is important to protect occupants from adverse health effects and to protect the building and its contents from physical damage. Moisture is also the prime reason for electronics getting damaged. There are ways to combat this invisible demon from wreaking havoc on your home and health. We need to catch this unsuspecting criminal red handed before it carries out its dastardly acts.
Some Trigger Points /Warning Signs
- Flaking of paint/wallpaper/wall
- Presence of Termite
- Woodwork deterioration
- Dark patch in wall / ceiling
- General odour, musty smell from clothes
- Soggy paint/wallpaper/wall
- Visual leak
- Mold growth
- Collapsed False ceiling
- Damaged electronic devices
- Allergenic or immunological illness, infections, skin irritation in humans
Potential Sources (initially hidden and then gradually spreads)
- Ceiling, Walls, Floor
- Doors & Window
- Roof, Terrace, Basement
- Plumbing leaks
- Concealed leak (insulation on Air Conditioner gas pipe, drain pipes)
Potential Issues that may arise
Health Hazards – Too much moisture can negatively affect health
When mold or mildew grows in your home, its airborne spores can travel through your air ducts and be inhaled. These spores can cause allergies, infections, skin irritation, and more. Asthma is also triggered by the sensitization of dust mites accruing humid, wet regions of a structure. Common hazards include:
– Upper respiratory (nasal and throat) symptoms & lower respiratory illness in otherwise healthy children
– Cough, wheeze
– Asthma symptoms in sensitized persons with asthma
– Allergies, skin diseases
– Dyspnoea (shortness of breath)
When humidity settles on toilet tanks, water pipes, HVAC systems, and other mechanical objects, it can slowly cause rust or fungus and lead to failed parts & mechanisms. Failed parts can prevent proper operation & may mean costly fixes.
Electronics are especially susceptible to damage by condensation. Moisture can corrode contacts inside and lower insulation resistance, which may cause short circuits.
Issues in the External surface
– Major architectural deterioration like Cracks, popping of plaster, some parts of plaster.
– Deterioration of structural elements like concrete / steel, reducing the self-life of the building.
Issues in the Internal surface
– Termite infestation leading to deterioration of wood-works.
– Molds growth.
– Efflorescence of walls, tiles, stones.
– Bleaching and flaking of paint.
– Deterioration of carpet & furniture.
– Popping and removal of plaster.
– Collapsing of ceiling.
- Once spotted, one must find the main source of moisture before embarking on a programme of treatment and prevention involving a combination of good ventilation, heat, damp-proof courses and good maintenance.
- Before initiating any kind of repair, it’s highly important to understand what caused the issue.
Moisture Intrusion Assessment through Thermal Imaging Technology By MACJ – A Buyers Choice Home Inspections
Detecting moisture intrusion problems is an application for thermal imaging. Moisture intrusion may be identified through basic visual inspection if it has led to obvious defects, such as staining or mold growth. By the time visible evidence has presented itself, however, significant damage may have already been done. In many cases, moisture or water intrusion may have been developing for a while before obvious signs become apparent. By employing thermal imaging technology, we can locate moisture / damp issues before they become large problems and lead to serious damage, as well as gather details in cases where moisture intrusion has already become obvious.
Scope of Work
We provide one stop solution in collaboration with a Global MNC using Thermal Imaging Infrared Technology having experienced team:
- Moisture mapping assessment through inspection and thermal imaging technology.
- Scanning of the walls, ceiling & floor with Thermal Imaging Technology.
- Inspection of the related Plumbing systems / Shafts.
- Identifying the source of seepage, moisture, damp.
- Step wise solution recommendations.
- Long Term Solution
- Mostly non-destructive solution
- Cost of repair much lower
- Life of property and humans increases or does not Deteriorate
Our Expertise & Direct relevant experience
- Moisture/ damp/ seepage/ leakage assessment of Residential units / Offices / Bungalows.
- Moisture/ damp/ seepage/ leakage assessment through thermal imaging of a premium commercial office of one the largest business groups in India.
- Inspection of untraceable leak in a large banquet hall – water dripping into lower floors.
- Inspection of Damp / Seepage of basements in buildings (old /new) with premium multiple units
- Damp / Seepage assessment of roofs of buildings (residential / commercial).
- Moisture/ damp/ seepage/ leakage assessment through thermal imaging of a premium office complex and of a premier shopping mall.