‘Secret 7’ ways to save energy at home

Want to spend less and save more? Here are the ‘Secret 7’ ways to do so.

Energy conservation is important and very beneficial. The two major motives for conserving energy are to save on utility bills and protect the environment all through simple energy-saving measures. By simply taking few small steps towards living a more energy-conscious lifestyle, you can begin to enjoy all of the perks of being energy efficient. There are many different ways to reduce your household’s energy use, ranging from simple behavioral adjustments to extensive home improvements. Here are seven common ways to conserve energy and save electricity in your home.

1. Replace Glowing lights

The average household dedicates 11% of its energy budget to lighting. Traditional incandescent lights convert approximately only 10% of the energy they consume into light, while the rest 90% becomes heat. Turn off incandescent / shining lights when you are not in the room.

2. Adjust your day-to-day behaviors

To reduce energy consumption in your home, you do not necessarily need to go out and purchase energy efficient products always. Energy conservation can be as simple as turning off lights or appliances when you do not need them. The behavioral adjustments that have the highest potential for utility savings are using your air conditioners (AC) in a limited manner in the summer.

What is the best way to run AC?? It is always better to run AC at 25+ degrees and put the fan on at slow speed.

This will cost less electricity and your body temperature will also be in the range and there will be no ill effect on your health. Another advantage of this is that the AC will consume less electricity, the blood pressure on the brain will also decrease and Saving will ultimately help reduce the effects of global warming. How?? Suppose you save about 5 units per AC per night by running AC on 26 Degree and other 10 lakh houses also do like you then we save 5 million units of electricity per day. At the regional level this savings can be crores of units per day. Please consider the above and do not run your AC at all below 25 degrees. Keep your body and environment healthy.

3. Weatherize your home

Weatherizing or sealing air leaks around your home, is a great way to reduce your heating and cooling expenses. The most common sources of air leaks into your home are vents, windows, and doors. To prevent these leaks, you should ensure that there are no cracks or openings between the wall and vent, window, or doorframe.

4. Older appliances are often less energy efficient

Electricity rates are increasing every year. The appliances of today are much more efficient than their predecessors as they have made energy-saving leaps over the years. Replace the old ones with energy efficient products.

5. Take shorter showers

Ahem! Please do not get angry on me for saying this but I am just helping you to save energy. I know it really feels relaxing, rejuvenating and soothing taking a long shower. But did you know that a typical shower head spits out an approx average of 2.5 gallons per minute. Reducing your shower time by 4 minutes per day may save 3650 gallons annually if you shower once a day. So just make your shower time shorter.

6. Let your Computer/Laptops hibernate

You knew that frogs and other amphibians are the only ones who can hibernate? Well think again. You can set your Computer/Laptops to Hibernate also. It is a power-saving state designed for Computer/Laptops. Hibernation puts your open documents and programs on your hard disk and then turns off your computer. Of all the power-saving states in Windows, hibernation uses the least amount of power. Put your computer to hibernate mode instead of using a screen saver so it uses less electricity during periods of inactivity. And the best part is Hibernation of your computer can reduce your electric bill too.

7. Unplug battery chargers

Once charging of your device is complete, unplug the charger from the device and electrical outlet when the batteries are fully charged or the chargers are not in use. Many chargers draw power continuously, even when the device is not plugged into the charger. As Cambridge professor David MacKay points out, that half a watt equates to saving one hot bath’s worth of energy every year if you unplug your charger when it’s not in use. You have heard it from the best so you know what to do now.

Since the ‘Sultry Summer’ has already arrived, it’s the best time to use our ‘Secret 7’ ways in to use.

Write a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *